INSPIRE scholarship: The Innovation in Science Pursuit for Inspired Research (INSPIRE) scholarship programme has been designed by the Department of Science and Technology (DST) to attract students with an aptitude for research and innovation in Science. The scholarship was launched in 2008 with an intent to strengthen research in the Science and Technology field. INSPIRE has three scholarships under it- INSPIRE Scheme for Early Attraction of Talent(SEATS), INSPIRE Scholarship for Higher Education (SHE) and the INSPIRE Assured Opportunity for Research Careers (AORC). Of these, INSPIRE SHE is for students pursuing Bachelors and Masters in Natural Sciences.
INSPIRE Scholarship for Higher Education (SHE): The INSPIRE SHE scholarship is meant for students between the ages of 17- 22 years. The scheme offers 10,000 scholarships every year to students for studying Bachelors and Masters level programmes in science. Students are paid Rs. 80,000 per year to pursue their students. However, the highlight of INSPIRE SHE is the mentorship support that scholars get throughout their programme.
What does INSPIRE SHE entail?
Students who win this scholarship are given Rs. 80,000 per year to pursue Natural Sciences at the B.Sc or M.Sc level. They are also exposed to a mentorship programme to guide them towards research in Science. Scholars will get an annual scholarship amount of Rs. 60,000 in cash. The scholarship amount will be transferred to the scholar's State Bank of India bank account through Direct Benefit Transfer. Besides that, they will also get a summer time attachment fee of Rs. 20,000 as part of their mentorship. All scholars have to take up summer research programmes under an active researcher or a recognised research centre in India. After the project, scholars have to submit project report and certificate from the mentor. The scholarship is applicable for a maximum period of five years starting from 1st year BSc. BS, integrated, MSc integrated and MS. However, students have to show good academic performance in the university examinations to continue getting the benefits of the scholarship.
Number of scholarships on offer: 10,000
What makes you eligible?
Students have to fulfill the below mentioned eligibility criteria to be able to apply for INSPIRE scholarship.
1. Students have to be among the top 1% in 12th standard at their respective Board Examinations, state or central. The average cut off marks for the same is derived on the basis of top 1% criterion of each state board.
2. Students who are within the 10000 rank in Joint Entrance Examination of IIT and top 20000 rank in AIEEE. Further, those clearing CBSE NEET but opting to study Natural Sciences are eligible.
3. Students admitted to Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER), National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER), Department of Atomic Energy Centre for Basic Sciences (DAE-CBS) at the University of Mumbai or happen to be Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY), National Talent Search Examination (NTSE), Jagadish Bose National Science Talent Search (JBNSTS) scholars and Olympiad Medalists, opting to undertake courses in Natural leading to B.Sc. and M.Sc. degrees.
Which Natural Sciences courses are available under INSPIRE SHE?
The following programmes can be pursued by INSPIRE SHE scholars. Students must be enrolled in them before applying for the scholarship.
Courses allowed under INSPIRE SHE
How to apply for INSPIRE SHE:
Applicants can apply after they have cleared 12th standard and are enrolled in a Bachelors level exam. Notification for applications are generally released in July. Students can check newspapers and the official website for application announcements.
Applications for the INSPIRE SHE scholarships are available online. Here are steps to apply:
1. Register using email id, name, date of birth and verification code.
2. Scan and save the following documents in the pdf format:
Passport size photograph
50 kb (JPEG
Community/Caste Certificate (only if the applicant belongs to OBC/SC/ST)
Eligibility Note/Advisory Note if provided by the State/Central Board
Class XII Mark sheet
Class X Mark sheet or Certificate (for proof of Date of Birth)
Certificate specifying Rank or Award in JEE (Main)/ JEE (Advanced)/ NEET/ KVPY /JBNSTS/ NTSE/ International Olympic Medallists [If the candidate is eligible under this criteria]
Endorsement Form signed by the Principal of the College/Director of the Institute/Registrar of the University
3. Click on 'Apply for Scholarship'
4. Enter details like Father's Mother's name as mentioned in Class 12 or 10 marksheet. Enter caste details, course and programme enrolled, university/college name, Senior secondary and competitive exam marks. Further enter contact details.
5. Click submit and take a printout of the application form and send it to the following address:
The Director, National Institute of Science, Technology & Development Studies (NISTADS), Dr K S Krishnan Marg, New Delhi - 110012 by Ordinary Post only.
Selection process for INSPIRE SHE:
The selection of candidates will be based on performance in Board Examinations within the cutoff threshold (of top 1%) for each State or Central Board Examination Class XII level and/orperformance in any of the specified Competitive Examinations within stipulated cut off ranks and recipient of various fellowships and medals. The selection process takes at least 4 months from the last date of submission of the application form. Candidates who are selected will receive a Provisional Offer letter on the official website. For further consideration, students have to upload required documents.
Websites: www.inspire-dst.gov.in/ and http://www.online-inspire.gov.in/